How Do They Do That? Meaning Kids...

I just had a premonition...

Last Friday, I asked my son what he had learned in class that day and during his LONG, 15 min explanation, my mind began to wonder about plans for the weekend... "What I was going to cook for dinner or if I even wanted to cook, if I should call my mom back or just wait until the morning, do I really want to go trick-or-treating this year, who should I give these Halloween cookies to that me and my son made because they cant stay in my house... "

Stopping mid-sentence my son looked at me with some offense in his face and said, “Mommy, listen to me!” I said, “excuse me, lower your tone and I am listening to you." He said, “no, your not, your not in your eyes.”  
Lord forgive me... I lied to my child about me actually listening to him and was about to enforce the dreaded ancient Chinese torture technique, "time-out" for his ridiculously loud tone. How could I? Especially after he made such a perceptive, not to mention, truthful point. I simply apologized and did what I should have done in the first place, I listened to my baby tell me about his day.    

The point im trying to make is, "How do they do that?", meaning kids... I was looking directly at him and believe me, I have had years of practicing the art of looking as though im paying attention, but simultaneously, making plans for dinner, going over what was actually completed on the days to-do list, thinking about the work that needs to be completed once my son is in bed, etc... 

I have come to believe that kids have some sort of 6th or even 7th sense, that we, as adults no longer use. We sometimes get too consumed with "life" and just "stuff" that we forget about balancing our minds and stop paying attention to whats really important. In this case, me listening to my baby's day was the most important thing.  

"There are children playing in the streets who could solve some of my top problems in physics, because they have modes of sensory perception that I lost long ago."
J. OPPENHEIMER

No comments:

Post a Comment